Sunday 8 March 2009

Chapter Two

Not long after take off, tiredness from the previous nights activities had overcome her and Jenn had drifted off to sleep. She awoke to the air hostess gently tapping her shoulder.

“Excuse me madam, sorry to wake you but we’re serving lunch shortly. May I take your order?”

Realising she hadn’t eaten anything since sometime yesterday, Jenn nodded gratefully. “I’ll just have whatever you recommend - I’m not fussy. But can I please get a really large glass of water, I’ve a banging headache!! She laughed at herself and the young woman serving her smiled knowingly and said “No problem madam!”

Yawning and stretching, Jenn reached into her bag and pulled out a folder. I may as well get some research done she thought. Opening the folder she smiled at the handwritten note tucked inside the first page.

Dear Jenn, I am so pleased you have finally decided to take a chance on me! I know this is a big jump for you and I’m grateful! When I was first contacted about this project, I knew you were the only gal for the job! I’ve enclosed all the details as we discussed on the phone and will fill you in on everything else when we meet up. A driver will be waiting for you at the airport and will bring you to the farm, see you soon! Paul

Smiling to herself, Jenn thought about the first time she’d met Paul. It was years ago, back when Steve had been doggedly pursuing her at every show. The night she’d finally relented and agreed to have a drink with him, Paul had appeared at Steve’s side introducing himself as Batman and Steve as Robin. Jenn therefore, he had informed her, had to be Catwoman otherwise the trio would be incomplete. Jenn decided that Catwoman was at least better than Ice Queen so joined in on the little play for the night. It had turned out to be one of the best nights she’d ever had, filled with fun and laughter.

Turning her attention to the first sheet in the folder she quickly scanned down the list of achievements of her perspective client. They included numerous wins at championship level in hunter equitation classes and junior showing. Noting there were no pure show jumping placings included she read through the brief description Paul had provided.

Name: Stephanie

Age: 17

Stephanie has ridden since a young child. Is from a wealthy background but is a very genuine young lady. She has competed in junior equitation classes successfully on a variety of ponies and horses. She has expressed a genuine desire to train on to international level in pure show jumping however her competition experience in this area is limited. Her parents have requested that I find her a personal trainer that she can base herself with. This trainer will be responsible for sourcing and purchasing of suitable competition horses, the schooling of such horses and touring with Stephanie on the show circuit.

Current Horse:

Heraldo IV - 11 y old, 16.1hh Dutch Warmblood. Purchased a month ago, competed at Grand Prix level for three seasons.

Stephanie would like to have a few different horses to train and compete on. At the moment she is training on a few of my own horses however the sooner suitable horses can be sourced for her the better. I have a ten stall barn available at my farm for Stephanie and her trainer with all of the farms other facilities e.g. horse walker, paddocks, arenas etc freely available for use. I also have arranged for a groom to commence work full time once the yard of horses is established.

Well, he sure isn’t leaving anything to chance anyway, thought Jenn. This could be just what I need right now! Closing her eyes, Jenn settled back in her sear for another nap, content in the knowledge that she was taking a big step in the right direction.

A few hours later, Jenn’s plane had touched down in New York. It was a clear, crisp afternoon with bright sunshine bouncing off the tarmac. Upon clearing immigration and obtaining her luggage, she walked out into arrivals and saw a limo driver holding a sign with her name on it. Walking over, she introduced herself to the driver who welcomed her to the U.S and took her bags out to the waiting limo. I could get used to this, thought Jenn!

A while later they were driving through the picturesque countryside of New Jersey. The green fields reminded Jenn of Ireland and made her think she would certainly settle in with her surroundings well at least. The limo turned off the main road onto a smaller one and shortly after pulled up to an impressive set of electronic gates, set under a high stone arch. The name Navesink Farm stood out in bold letters in the centre of the arch with a symbol of a horse and rider clearing a fence standing either side of the name.

After driving up a seemingly never - ending driveway lined with elm trees and paddocks, the farm came into view. Wow, Jenn thought, Paul you have really set yourself up well here. An impressive looking barn came into view with what looked to be offices at either side of the main barn entrance. There were flower baskets and troughs filled with colourful flowers decorating the exterior of the barn complete with a stunning water feature set in the middle of the courtyard. As the limo swung round to stop in front of the archway, a tall, good looking guy in his thirties came striding out with a broad smile on his face.

“I thought you’d never get here!!” he said as he pulled open the limo door. Smiling, Jenn got out and gave the man a huge hug. “God, it’s so good to see you Paul!” Chuckling, returning the hug strongly he pecked her on the cheek. “Well you sure aren’t a sight for sore eyes either honey! I’m so glad you’re here!” Slinging his arm around her shoulder, he guided her forward, “Come on, lets get you a drink and we can catch up!”

Paul brought Jenn into his office at the side of the barn. A light, spacious room, it had framed photographs of Paul competing all over the world hanging on the walls. At the top end of the room was a desk with a computer and files scattered randomly about. A comfy sofa sat in front of the desk which Jenn gratefully slumped down onto.

“Nice Paul, real nice!!”

“Aw thanks, it’s comfy and practical but wait till you see the farm. That’s my real pride and joy!”

“I can tell”, replied Jenn, the look of pride on Paul’s face was evident. “So how many acres are we talking?”

“About two hundred in all. I like to have big paddocks for the horses when they’re on holidays, so they take up a good bit of it. How was your flight?”

“Not bad at all once I got rid of my hangover!” She grinned sheepishly. “My friends thought it would be a good idea to take me out for a few farewell drinks last night, but of course you know what a few always turns out to be!”

Laughing, he agreed with her, “I do indeed, and I know what you Irish are capable of drinking in a night too so I’m not surprised you were feeling a little rough!” Pausing, he turned to her, “A few farewell drinks eh? So you’re staying then?”

Smiling, Jenn took the coffee Paul handed her and settled back into the sofa.

“Well, the job sounds attractive and right up my alley so I’m hoping it’s gonna work out, yeah.”

Paul smiled and said “Phew! That was easy, I was thinking I was gonna have some persuading to do!”

“Why? What’s there not to like? I love teaching, especially on a one to one basis and with these kind of facilities I’d be mad not to!” Taking a drink from her mug, she watched the look on Pauls face turn slightly apprehensive. “Uhoh, there’s a catch isn’t there? God damn, I knew it was too good to be true!”, she swore, putting her mug down on the coffee table.

“No, no, there’s no catch!! I just haven’t gone into detail with you yet about Stephanie and her background.” Paul hastily told her.

“Background? That sounds suspect! She got a criminal record or something?” Jenn joked.

Smiling Paul went on to explain;

“Steph’s a real nice kid, a talented one actually. And I really think she could go all the way on the right horses. What I mean by her background, is that she’s not from your typical American family. She’s kinda high profile”, he paused trying to gauge Jenn’s reaction.

“Go on”

“Well you see, obviously she’s from a wealthy family, otherwise all of this could never be afforded, but her family is more than wealthy.”

“Oh God, you’re gonna tell me she’s the president’s daughter or something, aren’t you?”, Jenn demanded.

“Nope!”

“Well, who then Paul? C’mon I’ve had a bitchin headace all day, I can’t do guessing games now!” Jenn was starting to get impatient as she had a growing feeling of nervousness in her stomach.

“Alright, her dad is kinda famous around Jersey. Actually world famous - he’s a rock star!”

“NO WAY!” Jenn yelled! “SPRINGSTEEN? I’m gonna be training THE BOSS’S daughter??”

Jumping at her enthusiasm, Paul waved his hands at her grinning, “No not that rock star, I already train her, you can’t poach her off me!!”

Slumping back, Jenn frowned. “Well who else is a rock star in these parts then?”

“Are you telling me that you don’t know of any other rock star from New Jersy?”, Paul asked her, his eyebrows rising high in his forehead so he looked at her incredously.

“God, em, well you know me Paul, I’m not real big into music, never had much time for it growing up I suppose!” Jenn shrugged her shoulders at him.

“Well I suppose I should be grateful that you won’t be dropping at his feet then I suppose, all the grooms do when he comes to visit with Steph. For some reason they all find him incredibly attractive!”

“PAUL!! Quit the bullshit! I give up - who is it?”

“Jon Bon Jovi”, Paul smirked looking at her, “Ever heard of him?”

“As in Bon Jovi, the band?” Jenn’s eyes widened in realisation.

“Aha! So you haven’t lived in a hole all your life then!”

“Well of course I’ve heard of them, who hasn’t?”

“You hadn’t apparently until a few moments ago!”, he quipped!

Jenn picked up a cushion and threw it him good naturedly. “Smartass! You just caught me off guard that’s all! Hell, I have jet lag!”

“Well, there you go then! Hopefully you’re gonna be training Bon Jovi’s daughter!”

“Hopefully?” Jenn had caught the look on his face.

“Well, it’s not exactly a done deal yet. Mr Bongiovi, to give him his full title, is quite protective when it comes to his family and as you would be working in close proximity to the family, he’s requested a few things as regards a trainer”

“Such as?”

“For one, the trainer has to be female. I don’t think he trusts us randy show jumpers around his teenage daughter”, he laughed. Jenn just threw her eyes up to heaven. “Secondly, they have to have a clean record, which you do obviously, and finally they have to know the band’s music inside out!”

Almost choking on her coffee, Jenn spluttered “WHAT?!”

“Just kiddin, just kiddin!!” chortled Paul, amused by the look of shock on Jenn’s face.

“You are such an ass!”She resisted the temptation to fling another cushion at him. “So whats the deal then?”

“O.K, I’ll be serious now! I’m pretty sure Mr & Mrs Bongiovi will love you as will Steph so it’s just a case of you sitting down with them and getting to know each other, that’s all. I didn’t want either of you signing a contract until both parties are sure about everything”, he finished.

“Well, that’s pretty normal. So when do we meet?”

“Is tomorrow too early for you? I didn’t schedule anything until you got here in case you were too tired” Paul looked at her, “There’s no rush.”

“No problem, the sooner I meet them, the sooner we can get to work. I’m bored already!!”

“Sheezh woman, you haven’t changed a bit, always on the go!” he smiled.

“Yep, that’s me! Now I don’t want to be rude or anything but I could really do with a shower! Jenn was starting to feel the effects of the flight.

“Oh hell! Where are my manners gone! Sorry honey, here I am loading information onto you and you’re not here five minutes! Come on, I’ll show you the guest house. It’s yours for as long as you’re here” He pulled her up out of the sofa and grinned at her “it’s really good to have you here at last, you know?”

Grinning back at him, Jenn hugged him “It really feels good to be here sweetie!”

1 comment:

  1. Good lord, I laughed out loud when she got all worked up about Springsteen's daughter lol, and the "oh yeah, him" vibe when Paul mentioned Jon. Very funny.

    ~ Hath

    ReplyDelete