Saturday 4 April 2009

Chapter Seven

A short while later they found themselves seated at the back of a small yet buzzing bistro type restaurant. The overhead lights were dim and a single candle romantically lit the centre of each table. Jenn suddenly found herself noticing they were surrounded by couples who all looked very much in love. In fact she couldn’t pick out a single table where people weren’t obviously gushing over one another. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat, maybe this restaurant was a little too intimate for a simple dinner meeting with her boss.

Jon noticed her squirming and wondered why she suddenly looked so uncomfortable. Glancing around he could see nothing out of the ordinary yet he could feel the tension bouncing off the woman in front of him in waves.

“Hey, you okay?” he asked gently.

Glancing up over the menu she was so intently studying, she replied with an automatic “Yep! Why?”

“Oh nothing just thought you were a bit uneasy there!” Jon watched as her eyes flickered quickly to the tables around them. Suddenly it dawned on him,

“We can go somewhere else you know if you don’t fancy this?”

“Oh God no! This place is great…..I just feel a bit…umm…oh never mind me, I’m fine! Lets order!”

“A bit out of place you mean? Like we’re in some sort of love bubble?” He laughed gently and smiled at her. “It’s okay, I get it. I wonder when the guy comes out to serenade us?”

Jenn’s eyes widened then quickly relaxed as she took in the joking face in front of her. Feeling a lot more at ease she reached for her wine glass.

“Here’s to being the only non-romantically involved couple here!”

“Amen to that!”

They clinked glasses and normal conversation resumed once they had given their orders. Topics flowed around Stephanie and the horses at first, following onto a little about the band and their music.

“I dunno if Paul told you or not but I really wouldn’t be much of a music follower. I mean I like humming along with the radio and such but it was never really a big thing for me!” Jenn smiled and shrugged , “I suppose I was never really a cool kid in that sense anyway!”

Jon laughed and topped up their glasses with the last of the bottle of wine.

“When Paul told me that you probably didn’t know of us , well, it kinda sealed the deal for me! It’s very hard to have your kids lead a normal life when your career puts them in the spotlight wherever they go.”

Stretching his legs under the table and sipping at his wine he looked thoughtful for a moment.

“If I tell you something will you promise not to freak out on me?”

He looked at her so seriously that Jenn actually felt nervous;

“Oh God, what now? You’re not gonna tell me I’m on some entertainment show or something are you?”

She started anxiously scanning for hidden cameras and paparazzi around the restaurant.

“Lord no!!” Jon smiled and looked around him, “Well, not to my knowledge anyway although I can’t say it isn’t a possibility!”

Jenn looked so horrified for a moment, he couldn’t help but laugh at her.

“It’s ok baby, relax!! I’m just kidding with you!”

Her eyes narrowed at the ‘baby’ part. She still wasn’t completely familiar with his everyday language and wondered did he just call everyone baby or was it aimed at her specifically. ‘Stop it Jenn!’ she told herself furiously. ‘You’re over-analysing again! Chill woman!’ Wine, need more wine. Reaching for her glass she took a big gulp.

Jon had caught the slight eye narrowing and was inwardly cursing himself for being over familiar. He just felt so comfortable with this woman that he’d let it slip. Watching her take a drink, he hoped he hadn’t breached the line.

“So what’s so awful that I’m gonna freak out over then?”

“Eh, maybe I shouldn’t tell you!”, he relaxed at the warmth in her voice and began to tease her a little.

“Oh come on! I’m a big girl! Go for it!”

“Alright, alright! Before I told Paul to bring you over for an introduction, I kinda had you checked out!”

“Whad’ya mean checked out?” Uhoh, the eyes had narrowed again.

“Er….well like a background check, you know, like to make sure you weren’t a serial killer or anything!” He half joked with her unable to gauge the emotions showing on her face.

“Uhuh……..I see….”

She could see he was starting to sweat a little under his collar as he tried to work out whether she was pissed at him or not. She stared back at him across the table and folded her arms in front of her.

“….and you found out……what exactly??”

“That you’re a model citizen of course!” He spoke quickly hoping to God that he hadn’t just made a huge mistake.

Jenn was starting to enjoy making him nervous for a change.

“Did you expect me not to be? Do I give off the impression of a serial killer? I wasn’t aware I did!”

“Of course not! I just had to be sure!”

“Sure of what?”

“That you were the one we wanted!” Jon gave up trying to read her face and answered honestly looking straight into her slanted green eyes.

“Well thank God for that then!!” Unable to keep it straight, she let a big grin break out on her face.

Jon blew out the breath he’d been subconsciously holding and grinned back at her. So here was a woman that refused to be fazed by him! Interesting!

Finishing their meal, Jon picked up the tab much to Jenn’s disgust. He refused to be swayed by her protests though and calmly guided her out the door of the restaurant, leaving a generous tip to the appreciative waiter.

“You know you are a guest in my country after all! I should be the one taking you out!”

“Hush now! Your company was worth more than any meal!”

He smiled warmly at her and hung his arm loosely around her shoulders. The wine had mellowed both their inhibitions enough that the familiar gesture went unheeded by either. Walking back to the hotel, they chatted some more about the city and in no time found themselves back in the hotel lobby.

Glancing at his watch and seeing it was still early, Jon looked at Jen,

“Fancy a night cap in the bar?”

“Thought you’d never ask!”

The hotel bar was quiet with just a few business people dotted around having post dinner drinks. Taking a seat in the corner, a waiter approached for their order.

“A glass of house white for me and ……..” Jon looked over at Jenn who replied with,

“Vodka and coke please, large!”

“Good grief woman, fond of hard liquor are we?” He laughed at the look of satisfaction on her face.

“Sorry! I’ve always been a vodka girl. Wine’s all fine and well over dinner but you gotta make room for the good stuff somewhere!”

Truth be told, the effects of the wine over dinner had somewhat diminished on the walk back and there was no way in hell Jenn was letting the nerves come back so she reckoned her old pal Mr. Smirnoff would help her out!

“Back in the day I’d have joined you but if I touched a drop tonight I think you may have to carry me upstairs! Wine’s the altogether safer bet for me!” He chuckled and eased back in the plush sofa.

“So how do you feel about living in the States full time? Won’t you miss Ireland?”

Accepting the drinks from the waiter, she handed over some money ignoring the exasperated look Jon gave her.

“No, I don’t think I will that much. I was based in the U.K for years anyway so it hasn’t really been my home in a long time.”

The vodka slid down her throat and warmed her stomach. She smacked her lips together,

“Mmmm, God that’s better!!”

“At least now I know what to give you to keep you happy - a bottle of vodka! Should be easy enough!”

Jon was delighted to see a woman make no attempt to hide what she liked. He watched as she laughed at him, a rosy glow highlighting her cheeks.

“Nope! I’m pretty easy to keep happy as long as nobody pisses me off! Then you better watch out!”

“I can imagine! Steph will have to watch herself!”

“She’s a great girl Jon. I’d be proud to have her as a daughter.”

“Yup, she’s one of the best things ever happened to me. Along with the three boys they make a great set of kids to have!”

Looking regretful he added, “Although I can’t take much credit for how they turned out. Dot is a great mom……..I just wish I’d taken more time to spend as a family.”
Jenn was touched by the look of sadness on the man’s face. She reached over and touched his knee,

“I’m sure you’re a great Dad, there’s not many teenage daughters who have as good a relationship with their fathers as you two have.”

He nodded slowly and placed his hand lightly on top of hers. Jenn didn’t bat an eyelid and never flinched.

“Yeah, doesn’t mean we don’t have our battles though! She can be pretty stubborn at times although I think she gets that from me!”

A short silence ensued when Jenn suddenly realised she still had her hand draped across his knee. God, the vodka was working a little too well. She was just in the process of wondering how to remove it when a loud ringing made both of them jump.

“Oh God! Sorry! That’s me!” Quickly whisking her hand away to root in her bag she pulled out her phone and looked at the screen. ‘Karen Home’ flashed up on it.

“Mind if I take this?” She looked at Jon.

“Not at all, go right ahead. I need to pay a visit to the Gents anyways.”

He got up and left Jenn to take the call. Taking a look at the very sexy posterior walking away from her she sighed and answered the call.

“Hey Kar!”

“Don’t you hey me! Where’ve you been all day!”

“Huh? What are you on about? You know where I’ve been!” Jenn was confused. Karen knew she was showing Steph around town today.

“Exactly! I’ve been stuck in work all day and you don’t even send me a text to update me on your rock star’s visit! Give me gossip, NOW!!” Karen demanded down the phone sending Jenn into convulsions on the other end.

“Oh Kar, you’re priceless you know that? What do you want to know?” she giggled keeping an eye out for Jon’s return.

“Where’d you take him? What did you do? Has he proposed yet?!” came the barrage of questions.

“Karen! Quit it, he’s my boss remember!!” Jenn admonished feeling only slightly guilty about pretending to have no feelings for him.

“Yeah, yeah whatever Miss Prim and oh so Proper! You better be working the Irish charm on him or you can shove off and I’ll seduce him! Where are you by the way?”

“In the bar having a drink before bed.” Jenn downed the last of her vodka and coke.

“Oh reeeeeallly!!!” came the sarcastic reply, “Now that’s more like it, very cosy indeed! Trying to get him drunk? I’m impressed girl!” Karen was laughing down the phone now knowing she was rising Jenn.

“Cut it out you witch bag!! You know I’m not that bad! At least not anymore!” She retorted back at her best friend, remembering the years when they’d grown up together.

“Okay I gotta go, he’s coming back.” Jon was approaching from the far side of the bar. “I’ll call you in the morning to arrange dinner tomorrow night!” Karen had insisted she cook dinner in her house for the visiting party and Jenn had finally relented seeing as how Karen was actually a decent chef.

“Okay honey. Have a good night and remember if you can’t be good…..BE CAREFUL!” Karen shrieked the last bit down the phone and hung up cackling. Jenn shook her head smiling to herself, that girl needs help, she reckoned.

“ Everything okay?” Jon asked as he settled back down beside her.

“Oh grand, just Karen checking to see we were still going to her place tomorrow evening. She’s kinda excited so I apologise in advance for her enthusiasm!”

“I’m looking forward to it, she sounds like fun!” He motioned toward their empty glasses on the table,

“Fancy another?”

Checking her watch, Jenn was a little shocked to see it was well after midnight.

“God look at the time, you must be wrecked!!” She looked at the worn yet undoubtedly handsome face beside her. His hair flopped forward a little over his forehead and led down to the warmest set of blue eyes Jen had ever seen. Suggestive wrinkles creased the corners of his eyes softening the masculine angles of his face.

“Hell no! I’m a night owl through and through! I think my daughter wore you out today though!”

He smiled at Jenn’s large yawns and sleepy eyes.

“Oh my God, sorry I don’t mean to be rude! It’s the damn wine, makes me sleepy!!”

“Nothing to do with the vodka then no?!”

“Jon anytime you want to challenge my vodka abilities just name the date and place! I know who’ll come out on top!” She laughed at him,

“You’re dealing with an Irish chick now! I was reared on the stuff!!”

“Well you know I might just test that theory sometime!”

Stifling back another yawn she relied;

“Looking forward to it mister! Alright, I admit it, if I stay here much longer I might as well sleep here!”

“S’ok darlin, we wouldn’t want to be hungover for Karen tomorrow now would we?!”

Laughing and nodding she took Jon’s hand and stood up. Draping their coats across his arm he once again put his arm across her shoulders and together they ambled out to the elevator.

Once inside the lift, Jenn’s feet suddenly started to ache.

“Ugh, gotta get these things off! Apologies but a girl’s gotta do what she’s gotta do!”

Putting her hand on his shoulder for balance, the offending high heels were removed and her feet gratefully sank into the luxurious deep pile carpet. Jon laughed at her antics.

“Y’know if I was a younger man I’d carry you up but I think you might be safer on your own two feet!”

“God you’d swear you were a pensioner already!! Don’t worry, I’ll manage thanks!”

They smiled warmly at one another and Jon dropped his arm to around her waist.

“I’m looking forward to getting to know you better Miss O’Neill!” He paused and looked deep into her eyes, “And I’m hoping you’ll let me?”
The elevator pinged and the doors swung open onto Jenn’s floor. Squeezing his arm and staring back at him she slowly replied,

“I think I might. Thank you for a wonderful evening.”

“G’nite honey, thank you!” He leant over and gave her a soft kiss on the cheek. Smiling he stepped back into the elevator;

“See ya in the morning!”

PING! The doors shut again and he was gone. Jenn’s head swam from the gentle kiss and she giggled out loud to herself. ‘Jennifer O’Neill admit it! You’ve got a crush on your boss!!!’ Howling to herself with mirth she wobbled slightly down the corridor to her room. Life had all of a sudden gotten much brighter!!

1 comment: